From Mises Wiki
December 24 ():
- 1814 – The Treaty of Ghent is signed ending the War of 1812.
- 1851 – Library of Congress burns.
- 1865 – The Ku Klux Klan is formed.
- 1906 – Radio: Reginald Fessenden transmits the first radio broadcast; consisting of a poetry reading, a violin solo, and a speech.
- 1924 – Albania becomes a republic.
- 1943 – World War II: U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes the Supreme Allied Commander.
- 1968 – Apollo Program: The crew of Apollo 8 enters into orbit around the Moon, becoming the first humans to do so. They performed 10 lunar orbits and broadcast live TV pictures that became the famous Christmas Eve Broadcast, one of the most watched programs in history.
- 1973 – District of Columbia Home Rule Act is passed, allowing residents of Washington, D.C. to elect their own local government.