The Ethics of Liberty
|The Ethics of Liberty|
|Author(s)||Murray N. Rothbard|
|Subject(s)||Political philosophy, Ethics|
|Dewey Decimal||323.44/01 19|
|LC Classification||JC585 .R69 1982|
The Ethics of Liberty, by American economist and historian Murray N. Rothbard, first published in 1982, is an exposition of the libertarian political position. It roots the case for freedom in the concept of natural rights and applies it to a host of practical problems.
Hans-Hermann Hoppe, who wrote the introduction to later editions of the book, has described the 273-page The Ethics of Liberty as Murray Rothbard's second magnum opus, the other being Man, Economy, and State.
 Part I: Introduction: Natural Law
1. Natural Law and Reason
 Part II: A Theory of Liberty
6. A Crusoe Social Philosophy
 Part III: The State Versus Liberty
22. The Nature of the State
 Part IV: Modern Alternative Theories of Liberty
26. Utilitarian Free-Market Economics
 Part V: Toward a Theory of Strategy for Liberty
30. Toward a Theory of Strategy for Liberty Media:Example.ogg
 Release history
- New York University Press. New York, N.Y. February 1, 2003. Paperback. ISBN 0-8147-7559-4
- New York University Press. New York, N.Y. May 1, 1998. Hardcover. ISBN 0-8147-7506-3
- Humanities Press. Atlantic Highlands, N.J. 1982. Hardcover. ISBN 0-391-02371-3
- Resources page at Mises.org (including full text)
- Audiobook read by Jeff Riggenbach
- Introduction (PDF) (French edition)
- Mises Daily excerpts
- Introduction by Hans-Hermann Hoppe
- Part I (Chapters 1-5) Introduction: Natural Law
- Part II: A Theory of Liberty
- Chapters 6-9 "A Crusoe Social Philosophy"
- Chapters 10-11 "When Is a Land Title Criminal?"
- Chapter 12 "Self-defense"
- Chapter 13 "Punishment and Proportionality"
- Chapter 14 "Children and Rights"
- Chapter 15 "'Human Rights' as Property Rights"
- Chapter 16 "Knowledge, True and False"
- Chapter 17 "Bribery"
- Chapter 18 "Boycott"
- Chapter 19 "Property Rights and the Theory of Contracts"
- Chapter 21 "The 'Rights' of Animals"
- Part III (Chapters 22-25) The State versus Liberty
- Part IV: Modern Alternative Theories of Liberty
- Part V (Chapter 30) "Toward a Theory of Strategy for Liberty"
- Articles, essays and reviews
- Other media
- The Ethics of Liberty lecture by Roy A. Childs, Jr., Summer 1983