- This article uses content from the Wikipedia article on Hans Sennholz under the terms of the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.
Hans F. Sennholz (3 February 1922–23 June 2007) (born in Brambauer, Germany) was an economist of the Austrian school of economics who studied under Ludwig von Mises. After serving in the Luftwaffe in World War II, he took degrees at the universities of Marburg and Köln. He then moved to the United States to study for a Ph.D. at New York University. He was Ludwig von Mises's first PhD student in the United States. He taught economics at Grove City College, 1956–1992, having been hired as department chair upon arrival. After he retired, he became president of the Foundation for Economic Education, 1992–1997. Calvinist Political Philosopher, John W. Robbins pointed out in a book printed in honor of Sennholz shortly after his death that "Sennholz, ... rests his defense of a free society on revelation."
Fellow Austrian Joseph Salerno has notably praised Sennholz as an under-appreciated member of the Austrian school who "writes so clearly on such a broad range of topics that he is in danger of suffering the same fate as Say and Bastiat. As Joseph Schumpeter pointed out, these two brilliant nineteenth-century French economists, who were also masters of economic rhetoric, wrote with such clarity and style that their work was misjudged by their British inferiors as 'shallow' and 'superficial'."
2008 U.S. presidential candidate Ron Paul credits his fascination with economics to meeting Sennholz and getting to know him well. Peter Boettke first learned economics from Sennholz as a student at Grove City College.
- Divided Europe, New York, NY, 1955.
- How Can Europe Survive, D. Van Nostrand Company, 1955
- Moneda y libertad, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1961.
- The Great Depression, Lansing, MI, 1969.
- Inflation or Gold Standard, Lansing, MI, 1973.
- Gold is Money, Westport, CT, 1975.
- Death and Taxes, Washington, DC, 1976, 2nd ed. 1982.
- Problemas económicas de actualidad, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1977.
- Age of Inflation, Belmont, MA, 1977, 1979; Spanish: Tiempos de inflation, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1983.
- Money and Freedom, Spring Mills, PA, 1985; Spanish: Moneda y libertad, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1987; Polish: Pieniadze I Wolnosc, London, England, 1991.
- The Politics of Unemployment, Spring Mills, PA, 1987.
- Debts and Deficits, Spring Mills, PA, 1987.
- The Great Depression: Will We Repeat It?, Spring Mills, PA, 1988.
- The Savings and Loan Bailout, Spring Mills, PA, 1989.
- Three Economic Commandments, Spring Mills, PA, 1990.
- The First Eighty Years of Grove City College, Grove City, PA, 1993.
- Reflection and Remembrance, Irvington, NY, 1997.
- Sowing the Wind, Grove City, PA, 2004.
- Age of Inflation Continued, Grove City, PA, 2006.