Julian Heicklen is an activist who has been arrested many times for openly smoking cannabis and for passing out jury nullification pamphlets. He also ran for assemblyman in New Jersey. According to one columnist, "Julian Heicklen’s conduct is remarkably like that of the seventeenth century pamphleteers whose obstinate insistence on rights and fair process belongs to the animating background of the American Revolution." Heicklen currently resides in Israel.
- Weiser, Benjamin (25 February 2011). "Jury Nullification Advocate Is Indicted". New York Times.
- "Just say no, ctd". The Economist. 30 November 2011. http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/11/free-speech-and-jury-nullification.
- "Heicklen for Assembly". http://vote4julian.com/press-releases.
- Horton, Scott (28 February 2011). "The Obstinate Dr. Heicklen". Harper's Magazine.
- Jury Statute Not Violated by Protester, Judge Rules by Benjamin Weiser, April 2012