MisesWiki:Call to Action/Austrian predictions
From Mises Wiki, the global repository of classical-liberal thought
This Call to Action is closed now - feel free to reopen it!
This project (a.k.a. Navel-Gazing Time) lists which important economic and other developments have Austrian economists predicted? All predictions are of interest, but the most interesting are those that were:
- made by an important/renown figure
- specific (e.g. date, estimate of the magnitude of a crisis, etc.)
- they were made long before the event
In short, it should avoid the appearance of an alarmist/doomsday crowd (i.e. the Even a broken clock is right twice a day fallacy).
See here: Austrian predictions
Things to do:
- Are there any verifiable predictions by Austrians about the post-WWII recovery in the US?
- http://mises.org/daily/3582 - Albert Hahn, about US and Germany, can't seem to find a currently available resource, could use more
- a prediction from Benjamin M. Anderson, "Financing American prosperity"?
- some negative predictions here, here or here
- Courtesy of this, Mises' Geldwertstabilisierung und Konjunkturpolitik should be the right place; reprinted here
- There are no direct resources for the predictions of the Great Depression?
- Forgot about this! Wikipedia:Predictions of Soviet collapse#Ludwig von Mises
- To make, eventually, a page about the impeding collapse of the Chinese boom, which numerous Austrians were all over (example). More examples are around.
Resources to check out:
- Anything else? Any other topics?
- See a blog very hostile to Austrians here - under point (16) "Questionable or Failed Austrian Predictions" the person seems to take apart some Austrian predictions, in great detail and with full bibliography. Would be interesting to check his stuff...
- This fellow has some potentially interesting stuff; including something for the future about Greece
http://mises.org/daily/1177, http://mises.org/daily/1533, http://mises.org/daily/994, http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/blumen4.html, http://www.gold-eagle.com/gold_digest_03/richebacher040703.html
a single major page Austrian predictions, with outliers to other key pages
after the basic resources are scanned through, go through the list again and find the best ones, create a summary with selected predictions
complete the reference lists ("Anderson, 2001, 2003, 2007; Beale ...")
align them to their respective main pages