Anne Robert Jacques Turgot
From Mises Wiki, the global repository of classical-liberal thought
(Redirected from Turgot)
"To suppose all consumers to be dupes, and all merchants and manufacturers to be cheats, has the effect of authorizing them to be so, and of degrading all the working members of the community."
Anne Robert Jacques Turgot, Baron de l'Aulne (10 May 1727–18 March 1781), often referred to as Turgot, was a French economist and statesman. Today he is best remembered as an early advocate for economic liberalism.
Influence Outside of Economics
"...Our aim must be steady, wise progress. It would be well if our people would study the history of a sister republic. All the woes of France for a century and a quarter have been due to the folly of her people in splitting into the two camps of unreasonable conservatism and unreasonable radicalism. Had pre—Revolutionary France listened to men like Turgot, and backed them up, all would have gone well. But the beneficiaries of privilege, the Bourbon reactionaries, the short—sighted ultra—conservatives, turned down Turgot; and then found that instead of him they had obtained Robespierre..."
- Roosevelt, Theodore . "The Right of The People To Rule -- Speech by Theodore Roosevelt." wikisource.org. en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Right_of_the_People_to_Rule (accessed May 4, 2011).
- Henderson, David R., ed (2007). "Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot (1727-1781)". The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics. Indianapolis, Indiana: Liberty Fund. pp. 599-600. ISBN 978-0-86597-665-8. OCLC 123350134. http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/bios/Turgot.html.
- Rothbard, Murray N. (1999). "A.R.J. Turgot: Brief, Lucid, and Brilliant". In Holcombe, Randall G.. 15 Great Austrian Economists. Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute. pp. 29-44. ISBN 0-945466-04-8. OCLC 44942957.
- Turgot (2011). The Turgot Collection: Writings, Speeches, and Letters of Anne Robert Jacques Turgot, Baron de Laune. Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute. ISBN 978-1-933550-94-7. http://mises.org/document/6298/The-Turgot-Collection-Writings-Speeches-and-Letters-of-Anne-Robert-Jacques-Turgot-Baron-de-Laune.
- A.R.J. Turgot at Mises.org
- Anne Robert Jacques Turgot at Wikipedia
- Anne Robert Jacques Turgot at Wikibéral (French; see translation)
- Anne-Robert-Jacques Turgot at The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics
- Rothbard, Murray N.. "Biography of A.R.J. Turgot (1727-1781): Brief, Lucid, and Brilliant". Ludwig von Mises Institute. http://mises.org/page/1464/Biography-of-ARJ-Turgot-17271781. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Life and Works of Anne Robert Jacques Turgot by David M. Hart, with bibliography
- Institut Turgot (French)
- The Brilliance of Turgot by Murray N. Rothbard, from An Austrian Perspective on the History of Economic Thought, vol. 1, Economic Thought Before Adam Smith. October 2010