From Mises Wiki, the global repository of classical-liberal thought
December 4 (add):
- 1619 – 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish in England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God (this is considered by many to be the first Thanksgiving in the Americas).
- 1674 – Father Jacques Marquette founds a mission on the shores of Lake Michigan to minister to the Illiniwek (the mission would later grow into the city of Chicago, Illinois).
- 1875 – Notorious New York City politician Boss Tweed escapes from prison and flees to Cuba, then Spain.
- 1881 – The first edition of the Los Angeles Times is published.
- 1943 – World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt closes down the Works Progress Administration, because of the high levels of wartime employment in the United States.
- 1945 – By a vote of 65 to 7, the United States Senate approves United States participation in the United Nations (the UN is established on October 24, 1945).
- 1954 – The first Burger King is opened in Miami, Florida, United States
- 1982 – The People's Republic of China adopts its current constitution.