James Bradford DeLong (born June 24, 1960) is an American economist, and Professor of Economics at the University of California at Berkeley. He received a Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1987, and has previously served as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Policy, United States Department of the Treasury, from April 1993 to May 1995. 
These apparent lapses in scholarship are important to free market thinkers because DeLong, a Keynesian, has cited the âliquidationistâ philosophy of Herbert Hoover as so-called "proof" that Hoover preferred a laissez faire approach to fighting the Great Depression, and "proof" that it failed. He has quoted selected portions of Hooverâs memoirs:
Now Prof. Boldrin is following a very old trail, all right, his trail was in fact the ruling theory behind the Hoover Administrationâs policies in the 1930s. And to quote from President Herbert Hooverâs autobiography, during his administration economic policy was made by quote "the leave-it-alone liquidationists headed by my Secretary of the Treasury [Andrew W.] Mellon, who felt the government must keep its hands off the economy and let the slump liquidate itself."
while omitting Hooverâs conclusion three paragraphs later:
But other members of the Administration, also having economic responsibilitiesâUnder Secretary of the Treasury Mills, Governor Young of the Reserve Board, Secretary of Commerce Lamont and Secretary of Agriculture Hydeâbelieved with me that we should use the powers of government to cushion the situation.
- "J. Bradford DeLong Academic CV", âGrasping Reality with Eight Tentaclesâ. Referenced 2011-01-29.
- Horwitz, Steve.âWhy not to bother with Brad DeLongâ Coordination Problem. March 6, 2009. Referenced 2011-01-29.
- Murphy, Robert.âBrad DeLong Doesnât Even Know Who Heâs Dealing Withâ, Free Advice. December 3, 2008. Referenced 2011-01-29.
- Gordon, David. "DeLong on Nozick" Mises Economics Blog. June 26, 2011 . Referenced June 28, 2011.
- âStimulus SmackDown: Can Deficit Spending Save the Economy?â, A Debate Between Michele Boldrin and J. Bradford Delong, March 4, 2009. Referenced 2011-01-29.
- Hoover, Herbert (2007). The Memoirs Of Herbert Hoover: The Great Depression, 1929-1941. Kessinger Publishing, LLC. ISBN 78-0548453933
- âGrasping RealityâŚ by The Semi-Daily Journal of Economist J. Bradford DeLong: Fair, Balanced, and Reality-Based