From Mises Wiki, the global repository of classical-liberal thought
September 4 (add):
- 1781 – Los Angeles, California, is founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of Porziuncola) by 44 Spanish settlers.
- 1812 – War of 1812: The Siege of Fort Harrison begins when the fort is set on fire.
- 1862 – Civil War Maryland Campaign: General Robert E. Lee takes the Army of Northern Virginia, and the war, into the North.
- 1870 – Emperor Napoleon III of France is deposed and the Third Republic is declared.
- 1884 – The United Kingdom ends its policy of penal transportation to New South Wales in Australia.
- 1886 – Indian Wars: after almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo, with his remaining warriors, surrenders to General Nelson Miles in Arizona.
- 1888 – George Eastman registers the trademark Kodak and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
- 1939 – World War II: a Bristol Blenheim is the first British aircraft to cross the German coast following the declaration of war and German ships are bombed.
- 1998 – Google is founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University.