The Privatization of Roads and Highways
From Mises Wiki, the global repository of classical-liberal thought
|The Privatization of Roads and Highways: Human and Economic Factors|
|Publisher||Edwin Mellen Press|
|Publication date||2006 (1st edition)|
381 p. (1st edition)|
475 p. (2nd edition)
The Privatization of Roads and Highways: Human and Economic Factors is a treatise by American economist Walter Block. As the title suggests, the text makes the case for denationalizing all roadways, through a lengthy, detailed, and positive case that the privatization of roads would be socially optimal in every way. Block shows such an action would save lives, curtail pollution, save individuals money, massive amounts of time, introduce accountability, and make transportation a pleasure instead of a huge pain in the neck.
It is the first full treatise on the subject.
- Resources page at Mises.org (including full text)
- Introduction "A Future of Private Roads and Highways"
- Excerpt "The Road to Freedom: An Interview with Walter Block"
- Articles, essays and reviews
- "Privatize the Highways — and All Roads for That Matter" by Zachary Slayback, August 2011
- "New Ideas for Roads" by Jeffrey A. Tucker, April 2009
- The Freeman Review: "The Privatization of Roads and Highways" by Arthur E. Foulkes, April 2011
- "Free Market Transportation: Denationalizing the Roads" (PDF) by Walter Block
- "A Step Closer to Privatizing Infrastructure?" by Briggs Armstrong, June 2011
- The Free Market: "Private Roads" by Eric Peters, February 1996
- "Management versus Ownership: The Road-Privatization Debate" (PDF) by Laurent Carnis, Summer 2001
- "New Directions in Road Privatization" (PDF) by Laurent Carnis
- "Road Shortage in Socialist Paradise" by Per Bylund, July 2011
- Other media
- "The Privatization of Roads and Highways" panel discussion with Walter Block, January 2009 (YouTube, abridged YouTube)
- "Privatization of Roads" lecture by Walter Block, July 2010
- Privatization: Roads, Eminent Domain lecture by Walter Block, August 2004
- Lew Rockwell Show: Road Socialism interview with Walter Block, August 2008 (YouTube)
- Taking Politics Out of Transportation: Economist Bruce Benson on Private Roads news magazine by Reason.tv, December 2010
- Tolls, Not Taxes: How Americans Want to Fix Traffic Jams news magazine by Reason.tv, February 2012
- Private Roads news magazine by John Stossel, 2010
- The Case for Private Roads segment from Stossel, 2010
- Infrastructure Spending segment from Stossel, 2011
- There Were Private Roads Before Government Roads