From Mises Wiki, the global repository of classical-liberal thought
February 24 ():
- 1803 – In Marbury v. Madison, the Supreme Court of the United States established the principle of judicial review.
- 1831 – With the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, the Choctaws in Mississippi ceded land east of the river in exchange for payment and land in the West.
- 1868 – Andrew Johnson became the first US President to be impeached by the US House of Representatives. He was later acquitted in the Senate.
- 1917 – World War I: The U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom is given the Zimmermann Telegram, in which Germany pledges to ensure the return of New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona to Mexico if Mexico declares war on the United States.
- 1920 – The Nazi Party is founded.
- 1999 – The State of Arizona executes Karl LaGrand, a German national convicted of murder during a botched bank robbery, in spite of Germany's legal action to attempt to save him.
- 2008 – Fidel Castro retired as the President of Cuba after nearly fifty years.